Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blut Aus Nord--777-The Desanctification


I'm gonna start this review off by saying that I'm angry. I'm officially extremely angry at myself for having never listened to this band until now. As many years as I've listened to Black Metal, and I've heard the name, I've never listened to them. I feel extremely stupid. 


Now that I have that out of the way, let's get to the good stuff. 



777-The Desanctification is without a doubt, one of the best records I've heard in years, black metal or otherwise. I can't say enough good things about this record. If you're looking for traditional black metal though, this record may not be for you. Experimental is probably not even a decent enough descriptor, but it will have to do. Now having said that, this album is enthralling. Every brilliant moment on this record, leaves you wanting more. The feeling of mysticism that comes across here is mesmerizing.


This particular record is the second in the 777 trilogy. I have not heard Sect(s) yet, the first album in the trilogy, but I am fighting tooth and nail to find a copy of it. I'm also definitely looking forward to picking up the last record in the trilogy, Cosmophony, once it's released.  


I won't ruin the joy of enjoying this record by talking too much about it. Suffice it to say, if you like any form of experimental or black metal, and you're not caught up in "Pure" black metal, then you will really love this record. 


One last thing I will comment on is the packaging. I received the vinyl version of this in the mail, and the artwork is simply beautiful. Debemur Morti Records outdid themselves. The gatefold sleeve is adorned with raised artwork on the front of the album. An amazing poster was included. Literally the inside of the gatefold pockets are covered in artwork. And if you jump on it, you can still get a 180 gram copy of it on gold vinyl. Do yourself a favor and don't wait on it, and pick up a copy through Ominous Domain while you still can. 


By the way, if anyone has a copy of Sect(s) on vinyl they'd be willing to come off of, please leave a comment. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...